Fuel senders

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Fuel senders

Post by prowlersfish »

Just up graded my fuel senders to a wema unit . Finely will have fuel gauges that will be correct .Only had 1 working gauge before and it was way off when it worked . ( I always keep track of fuel used )

The new Wema is to the left .

Lots of fun to replace on a F36 :wink:
Attachments
Wema2.jpg
Wema2.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 11975 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Fuel senders

Post by larryeddington »

okay help this dolt out, what do WEMA mean? :?
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

WEMA is just the name of the company, Larry. They're in Florida. As if maybe WEndy and MAry got together and started a company (although that's prob not what happened.) :)

One of the things that I want to do right away this spring is get in there and see if my fuel level sensors are actually wired up. I had the tanks replaced 5 years ago and since that time the gauges have not worked. I assumed they weren't repositioned properly. Some of the guys on the forum mentioned that perhaps the wiring had simply not been reconnected. If that's not the problem, perhaps I'll be buying some new ones too.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Prowlerfish - the new unit seems quite a bit longer than the unit it is replacing
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

rickalan35 wrote:Prowlerfish - the new unit seems quite a bit longer than the unit it is replacing
Different style, not visible off screen on old one is the float you can imagine it ends up about inline with the black thing on the new one.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Dreamweaver

Post by Dreamweaver »

That would be scary not knowing how much fuel is left,but I knew someone that used the stick in the tank and said,yup,we have enough to go twenty miles and back. :roll:
Richard
1978 F28 Flybridge twin 351s.
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Prowlerfish, I am sure you will like those senders. I purchased 5 senders and 7 gauges from them. Fuel, fresh water, gray and black water. They all work great.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ready123 wrote:
rickalan35 wrote:Prowlerfish - the new unit seems quite a bit longer than the unit it is replacing
Different style, not visible off screen on old one is the float you can imagine it ends up about inline with the black thing on the new one.
Correct

Dreamweaver wrote:That would be scary not knowing how much fuel is left,but I knew someone that used the stick in the tank and said,yup,we have enough to go twenty miles and back. :roll:
A stick is the best gauge you can get , I never trusted the old gauge reading I keep track what fuel I burn and still will .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Jealous of the new gauges. We had a Chris Craft Catalina before the Trojan with a teak stick gas gauge. You know, it was very accurate. Thankfully the gauges on our F36 work as you could not get a stick around the two bends in the fuel inlet line.

Paul, on our F36, you have to take out the side cabinets and then the floor to replace the senders. Same setup on yours? If so, thats got to be about 8hr a side!
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Same set up as yours I believe .

But it took a lot less the 8 hours . How ? I cheated . To get to the senders remove the floor panel outside of the side cabinets . This will enable you to get at the wires and screws for the senders and you can remove the old ones with some bending . But to get the new ones in bending is not a option . To get the new ones in ,I took a 3" hole saw and made a 3" hole above the sender inside the side cabinet ( slightly off due to restrictions ) and dropped the new one in .

The hardest part ? lining up the 5 holes .

On a gas boat I suggest the hole be drill before removing the sender screws

I will add some photos later (as long as I remember to take them )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Yep, the bends in the Fuel Inlet Pipes to both of my tanks have precluded the opportunity to use a measuring stick. So, I have been stuck making sure I add enough fuel for the day's cruising plan. No doubt I have carried more fuel than required most of the time.

On my boat (a Tri), I can access the fuel level sensor for the starboard tank by lifting up the hinged second step to the aft cabin. I probably can't replace it from this angle though, but will indeed be able to check on whether the wiring is correct.

For the port side tank, there is a round metal floor panel under the galley sink that exposes the fuel level sender connections. Luckily, I can also use this opening to replace the port sender if necessary.

My issue was that I never really knew what those connections were for, until I learned it on this forum.

It would be great if the ground wires were simply not hooked up, but I won't be surprised to see Mr. Murphy become a part of all of this.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Nice upgrade Paul. I have used those before, they work very well.

Not ready to do mine yet. I still get extremely accurate readings on my fuel gauges. I'm not really sure why considering their age though, but I'm not complaining.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I have two new tanks to install in my f28 and they have those type sending units. At least they look like them. Not sure of the brand. I am concerned now as I did not have a cleanout plate installed in the tanks. As they have not had any fuel in them am considering having clean out plate installed before I use them.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Prowlerfish, I did mine last year with the same senders. My F-36 has a plywood panel directly over the fuel tanks on either side of the salon. I just removed the screws and pried it up. My interior must be different then yours.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Or the sender is more inboard on the tank . Will post the picks in a few
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels