Chrysler 440 Engines

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lbswaff

Chrysler 440 Engines

Post by lbswaff »

On my boat I have twin Chrysler 440's. One of the engines is bad, the valve went through the top of a cylinder but the other engine runs. I will be pulling both engines out to be completly rebuild. Should I rebuild them or should I look for new? What is the most efficient way to do this? Maybee someone has a different idea of a diffrent engine to put in the boat but I have heard that the Chrysler 440's are great.
Billy Swafford
1972 42' Trojan Motor Yacht
"Easy"
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

What every you choose to do you're looking at big buck or bigger big bucks.

Which engine blew? How many hours on the engines? Is it the normal or reverse rotation engine? Did you kill the block? Are they raw water or closed system cooled? Can you locate a used 440 engine to replace yours? Are you running the Velvet Drive 1.91-1 Transmission? What does the boat weigh?

Your cheapest option is the rebuild what you have. Chrysler 440 engines are strong.
Before you go that route pull the cam in the reverse rotation engine and have it checked to see if it meets specs. Chrysler no longer sells the cam and I was not able to locate an after market manufacturers that makes it either. If your cam doesn’t meet specs you will either have to locate a good used cam or have yours re-manufactured. Don’t rebuild until the cam issue is resolved. (All other parts are avialable.)

If the cam is a problem, the cheapest solution, (but not ideal), would be to replace the reverse rotation engine with a GM 454. The 440 & the 454 engines weigh about the same and produce similar horse power. Don’t rebuild the running 440. Replace it when it dies with a 454 and you will be back to a matcher set.

If you choose to re-power your next decisions are gas or diesel; new or used. Choosing gas is normally less expensive. Buying brand new marine engines is very expensive and is probably not an option. (Look for a deal on a set of used big block engines.)

Putting used engines in is a crap shoot. You can’t know for sure just what condition they are in. Checking compression and oil pressure is a must. Condition of exhaust manifolds is an unknown.

Re-powering with diesels opens up another whole set of questions. Will the engines fit the engine compartment? Will the fuel tanks need to be changed? Will props need to be changed? (Certainly re-pitched) Are shafts stronger enough? (If not your looking at shafts, struts and stuffing boxes) Will raw water inlet and strainers need to be larger? Are the exhaust pipes large enough? Will you need larger batteries to crank the engines?
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

You can get a pretty good deal from these guy's in Fla, you would be wasting your time and money if you changed to diesel, you would never get your investment back at resale!

http://www.daddyosmarine.com/
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

willietrojan wrote:You can get a pretty good deal from these guy's in Fla, you would be wasting your time and money if you changed to diesel, you would never get your investment back at resale!

http://www.daddyosmarine.com/

If your worried about resale you should have sold it a year or 2 ago :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Rebuild the engine. You can still get parts for these engines, check with Marysville marine in new Jersey for parts. I ran Chryslers for years and always found parts (sold mine last season) JEGS and Summit racing are also good sources, Still selling "purple" camshafts. Can not beat the torque these engines produce.