f32 wiring problems?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Tuck
Moderate User

f32 wiring problems?

Post by Tuck »

hiyas!

slowly getting my trojan the way i want it, but i've now come to the point where i have to get this wiring mess fixed (hopefully...with some help, because i'm a moron)

i'm not getting any power into the starboard side, so i have to use the crossover switch to get power to both sides at the dock. i know it's not the cords. i also thought the port nav light was out, but tonight before heading home, just for funsies, i turned the nav lights on, and it came on. a minute later, i turned them on again, and it didn't. long story short, i think i have just that...a short.

my point/question is this: are these boats known for wiring problems, or do i happen to just have special problems? also, if it's something where new wire has to be run on either of these, is it going to be a pain in the azz to access and run, or is it pretty simple?

tks in advance for the input.
g36
Moderate User

wiring

Post by g36 »

hey i just sent you a message. i think i can help
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Reely Hall'n

Post by Reely Hall'n »

I had a lot of problems with my F30 and all the wiring. Best sugestion is get your hands on the original wiring diagrams. Between a diagram and a good tester I was able to retrace and re-wire all my problems away.
Don
1977 F30 w/twin 233 Merc Cruisers
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

Reely Hall'n wrote:I had a lot of problems with my F30 and all the wiring. Best sugestion is get your hands on the original wiring diagrams. Between a diagram and a good tester I was able to retrace and re-wire all my problems away.
Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for a 77 f32 they can spare? 8)
Reely Hall'n

Post by Reely Hall'n »

You can purchase a copy of an original service manual from Marine Tech. They cary many original Trojan parts along with service manuals. There number is 717-684-4145. If you give them your serial number you can also order the original build sheet for your '77. They are located in Lancaster PA.
Don
1977 F30 w/twin 233 Merc Cruisers
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Tuck, I would start looking at corroded/ loose connections.

If you have a fax number, I'll be happy to fax you the wiring diagram I have. It was larger sheet than fax paper but I can send over multiple sheets you can decipher. Let me know.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

I had a problem with the push pull switches on the dash , both flying bridge and helm. Replaced the switches and my problems went away with the old ones.

John
F-31
Galloway Creek Marina, MD
gjrylands
Moderate User

Re: f32 wiring problems?

Post by gjrylands »

Tuck wrote:hiyas

i'm not getting any power into the starboard side, so i have to use the crossover switch to get power to both sides at the dock. i know it's not the cords. i also thought the port nav light was out, but tonight before heading home, just for funsies, i turned the nav lights on, and it came on. a minute later, i turned them on again, and it didn't. long story short, i think i have just that...a short.
The AC starboard might be a defective main breaker or selector switch. (Selector switch is used only if you have a generator or if you ever had one.) Remove the cover of the AC panel. Check if there is power at the starboard main input. (Black wire) If you have power coming in, but not out, the main breaker is bad. If there is no power at the main input, then check the wiring on the back side of the shore power inlet or at the selector switch. Check for corrosion. There is little chance that the wires running between the shore power inlet and the panel are bad. The problem is usually at the end connections.

Running light. I don’t think you have a short or it would blow the breaker and none of the nav lights would work. The problem is probably in the socket. There could either be corrosion on the contacts or the contacts in the socket are bad. You can buy new contacts at most any auto supply store. You need a two pin insert and it costs about $5.00.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Anyone out there have some wiring diagrams for a 79 F30 express w/flybridge? I have seen diagrams for other sizes, but not for the 30.

TIA
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Thanks Striperman!

I couldn't remember the links ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17