BOATERS WORLD TO SHUT DOWN IN 3 MONTHS

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

boater's world

Post by aaronbocknek »

just remember the 10-20% off is AFTER the liquidators came in last week and jacked up the prices. so, the discount is actually what the item would have gone for in the first place. the manager that i spoke with, rhonda, said that to keep us loyal customers up to date. i might not miss the store all that much, but, it's the people that worked there i will greatly miss. it was always nice to walk in and be greeted by name and have them all ask about my partner and the dog......... they even knew both of them by name too.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Wesfromhawaii

Post by Wesfromhawaii »

Be carefull at liquidation sales...the point for them is to make as much money as they can...research before you buy anything...they can make ANYTHING look like a steal..you buy something at 30% off yet dont know they raised the price to equate...just be carefull..
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

ita all about the mark up
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

10 to 30 off in va beach, hate to see it go, but do have my youngest one checking the discount signs every day,when they hit 50 off i'm in there fast :P
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

West Marine is next

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I think West Marine is going to be in the same boat (pardon the pun) as Boatersworld soon. They have closed several stores here in Michigan lately and they too did not give anything away when they liquidated the store stock. They just sold what they could and moved it to another store.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I think west is smarter then that , BTW they are getting ready to open a mega store this weekend
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

in deltaville, west has two less than 1000' from each one was a bw they bought out and re-done it it's a great big toy store now :D they're going to shut the old one down soon re-do it and turn it in to a sailing shop for those guy that work sheets underway
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 wrote:in deltaville, west has two less than 1000' from each one was a bw they bought out and re-done it it's a great big toy store now :D they're going to shut the old one down soon re-do it and turn it in to a sailing shop for those guy that work sheets underway

Wasn't it a Boat US store before not a BW ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

prowlersfish,

You are correct, that was a Boat US store before West Marine bought their stores.
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

west marine will not price match boater's world

Post by aaronbocknek »

i just went to my local west marine to buy a few things with the price points from boater's world. the manager flat out refused to price match since boater's world is shutting down, he said, ''we will not match their prices on anything from now on and now that we will have a lock on the market, maybe our stores will finally start making money.'' okay guys, there you have it. this came from the manager at the golden ring store for those of you in the middle river/parkville/essex/white marsh areas of baltimore county.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

"Who would have guessed?"

John
F-31 Trojan
Galloway Creek Marina, MD
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: west marine will not price match boater's world

Post by Stripermann2 »

aaronbocknek wrote:i just went to my local west marine to buy a few things with the price points from boater's world. the manager flat out refused to price match since boater's world is shutting down, he said, ''we will not match their prices on anything from now on and now that we will have a lock on the market, maybe our stores will finally start making money.'' okay guys, there you have it. this came from the manager at the golden ring store for those of you in the middle river/parkville/essex/white marsh areas of baltimore county.
I had a similar experience with my local Worst Marine about 3 weeks ago, no match, no give. :(

Funny though, I just this morning had an email from WM asking for me to fill out a survey so they can better serve me. :wink:

Oh, they received my survey alright... :lol:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I used to use West for just about everything since they have a store a few miles from home, but then I started Googling everything I buy and have found great savings at a lot of different outlets online, plus I save on tax (oops don't tell NYS!!!) Once I find a part number I google it and usually get at least 6 different prices. I was shopping around for a GPS/Sounder and finally bought from a GPS site not associated with any marine sites. Best price for the same product. I've never had a problem with returning stuff either. Maybe just lucky. Another great source for materials and tools is McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmastercarr.com) and Bolt Depot for fasteners, etc. This is where I get all my stainless stuff. I used to run the dock system at our yacht club (120 slips) and bought everything, including chain, mushrooms, fittings, etc on line. Saved a bundle. So, bottom line - Google the stuff before you decide to buy at a retail outlet. The cost of shipping sometimes is free based on the size of the order and the no-sales tax also helps.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

give em hell jamie!!! after all the crud the manager gave me at the golden ring (md) west marine, he had the nerve to ask if i ''wanted to become a member'' of their frequent shoppers club...... never one to back down, i told them to stuff the application and save the tree. as i was leaving, he said, ''you realize we are going to be the ONLY game in town soon.'' i backed up and said, ''not as long as i have a computer, access to the internet, and get the great service i have gotten from hamilton marine and defender. and with an attitude like that pal, i wont hesitate to tell everyone that listens how terrible i think this store is.'' little does he know i am a member here at TB.NET and fly all over the country for a living....... yipes, the people i can tell..... so spread the word... the golden ring west marine store SUCKS big time. (''dont mess with the mighty hebrew")
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Its a shame the way you were talked to I don't think West would aprove of this . The store I deal with every one is first class and will bend over back wards to help . they are all boaters ( ok mostly sail ) . have never had a proplem returning anything . It boils down to mangment of the stores I guess . our BW had poor service but the VB store was much better .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels