318 doesn't idle 75 F-26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rdj59

Post by rdj59 »

i completely agree about the carb. If a wedge adapter wasn't 80 bucks i'd just get a holley 600 vac sec and call er done. I have been looking into used q-jet replacement carbs as that would be a bolt on. We'll see come tomorrow. If the hour meter is correct it has just under 2800 hours on it. I realize this is alot but it should still run. In the back of my mind i can't keep from trying to think why the thing would only run with alot of advance. If i strike out tomorrow i'll pul the front of the engine apart and replace the timing set. This way it'll be like just putting together a new engine and i can verify all settings. At least this way i'll know what were dealing with. It also seems to have ok oil pressure. Holds 40 psi but i'm going hook in a mech gauge to see whats really going on. I know the motor is getting worn out but i think it'll have few seasons left in her. :lol: I'm going to get some sleep. I'm sure tomorrow will be a day reckoning. Feast or famine as i like to say. Tomorrow it will run how it's supposed to run.

Thank you very much for all the help guys,
Jeramie
1975 F-26
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

one thing u didnt mention is ur coil ballast system...u do have the ballast right? i cant remember but i think i had sort of the same problem once and it ended up being the ballast....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

A Q-jet bolt On ? if you have a Q-jet you will find a micky mouse adaptor under it .a carter is a bolt on (now Edelbrock )

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... rine.shtml
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Won't idle

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

One possibility is that the timing gear slipped one tooth. I had a Chevy 350 do that and it would only run with the distributor turned almost 180 degrees out of normal. It would run but I had to advance the idle a lot to keep it running.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, go to a professional,
1983 10 meter express
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Andddddd......once you get this engine/carb/timing set up figured out, check out the fuel filters for that wonderful brown stuff that can only be coming from the rusting bottom of your stock galvanized fuel tank. Ah yes....been there done that (just before the tank was ready to rust through and dump 70 gal of gas into our pristine Adirondack lake.....
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

We had some 351's in a Carver that we tried to get to run. They ran very poorly. The distributor was 180 out. When a friend turned them around and set the timing they started right up and purred like a kitten.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

guglielmo6160 wrote:again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, go to a professional,
A pro can save you some money , if you want to fix it your self you could still pay a pro to look at it so you know what to fix .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rdj59

Post by rdj59 »

I said it would run today and it did. I put the old dist in and had the same problem. I had an old q-jet that i last was using a few years ago and still had the same problem. As i was taking the q-jet off i looked at the wedge adapter that was put on to adapter the q-jet and noticed that the rear ears were cracked. Pulled the spacer off and layed a straight edge across it. It had a little less than 1/8" u-bend to it. This would cause a vacuum leak. :? So i put on a q-jet to holley adapter bypassing the wedge. Put on a tried and true 4010 750 cfm holley, primed it, pumped it twice, and houston we have lift off. Set the timing to 10 degrees and she purss at 650 with no hint of stumble. So now i'm on the look out for 600 cfm vac sec holley and will call it a day. Thank you all very much for the help and can only hope i can contribute in same way in the future.

Thank you very much,
Jeramie
1975 F-26
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

good call prowlerfish.... 8)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Why not put the right carb on ? They came with carter AFB carbs . Now there made by Edelbrock . I think they are a better carb for marine use and I belive they cost less. BTW a 318 never came with a Q-jet or Holley

Just make sure you get a marine carb no matter what brand you go with .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
chietib

Post by chietib »

I had a very similar problem. Turned out to the previous owner installed an incorrect rotor in the distributor. Have you tried holding the distributor cam and checking to see if the rotor moves. Sounds like you probably have but I figured I'd mention it just in case. Good Luck !