36' tri cabin, (adventure begins)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

13footbeam

Post by 13footbeam »

Welcome to the forum, rickalan35 is correct, your boat is like mine, it is a Fly-Tricabin or a Fly-Tri with the bridge all the way forward, I am told they are quite rare, an oddity you might say. Mine still has the Chrysler 300s with Walter V Drives. Yours looks like it has a lot of canvas that comes with it. What kind of shape is it in? I have the bridge enclosure which I designed to go back far enough so I can still comfortably enter the salon from the bridge entrance/hatch. Yours looks like it encloses the bridge area and the aft deck area, that is at least $8k worth of canvas. You will love all the deck space. You will want to clean out your tanks somehow, mine was like yours, it set a lot and there is a lot of crud in the forward tanks, I have 4 tanks (300 gal) I tried the filter thing, had to change them every 15 minutes of running at least $6 a pop for filters gets expensive, it also adds extra risk of fire and takes the fun out of traveling. I will be stirring up the gas and emptying it out this spring so I can have a more stress free summer of travel. The extra pressure on the pumps is another negative of just running the bad fuel through the filters, could cause early pump failure and expense. Once you get her up and running you will love her! Welcome again.
Cheers,
Pat
Love my Trojan Boat

Current Fleet:
77 36' Trojan Tri-Fly
63 25' Owens Woody
76 20' Welcraft
76 9' Whaler
80 9' Achillies dinghy (sold)
80 26' Pearson (sold)
77 13' Pintail
01 4 person paddle boat
96 Hand Made Wooden dinghy
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

I would gladly trade my 72' tri-cabin with ya.
mines not in quite that good of shape. :lol:
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

rickalan35, thanks I checked the rear posts and they are pristine! Easy to see as the rear bunks are out to allow the new engines to be dropped in.

13 ft beam...when I checked the boat the canvas is new! Windows are clear and just one section is dirty, WOW , 8k! looks like I dodge a bullet!

Just got in from getting the boat loaded will post pics later tonight, the admiral has dinner on the table!
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

welcome.nice boat.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Welcome aboard Dave. Keep in mind as you line up 'boat projects', that there are no 'perfect boats'. I've spent way too much time in the past working on my boats instead of enjoying them.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

ty Peter!

I put all my pics in photobucket, so some are doubs of my facebook link but I got it on the trailer today! I got the windshield off too in the pouring rain

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... ds%20boat/

and

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... ads%20toy/
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

My tri cabin hull is not delta-conic??????...... say it ain't so, Joe.

Well, at least this will make for a good story. When I bought my Trojan back in '98 the original manuals were included along with it. In the middle of one of the manuals was an article explaining how the delta conic hull configuration had been adopted by Trojan and a brief history of its inventor. I just assumed that, since this delta conic hull design was apparently patented by Schoell in the sixties that my seventies vintage Trojan had it.

So I have been lying my head off (very successfully I might add) for the past ten years. Proves you can tell most people just about anything I suppose, if you believe it yourself.

Thanks to Captain Maniac and Prowler for correcting me.

Those were good photos of that Tri Fly up on the trailer.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The first delta conic hull ( international ) were made in 1981
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

rooferdave, Great looking project. I have owned and restored too many boats to mention. My friends don't believe me when I say my F36 Tri Cabin is not for sale. I like it that much! :) Your Tri Fly restoration will challage you for sure but stick to it. It will be wirth it at the end of the day. 8)

Your mention about the risers maybe too high for your bunks makes me wonder if you don't have the centre style riser. That is where the Manifold log has the riser above it. This is common with Crusader replacement engines. The original engines would have risers mounted on the end of the manifold logs which is lower.The 5.7 engines would not be origial. I looked at your photos but didn't see one of your engines.

Good luck with your resto. :wink: jimbo36
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... IM4345.jpg

jimbo, the engine pics are in the first group of pics, one of each and one of jenny
the 5.7s have just been added and not even started yet. One of the manifolds is cracked as it was left upside down for the winter outdoors, I am going to start trying to fit the manifolds today as the boat is at work now.

I am looking for interior pics, as my boat is bare/beaten and I need ideas on what to do any you all can post would be great, I have spent hours looking for 36' pics but have not found too many.

The two front windows are plexi and the outside is stained, how is best to clean? I have tried a few mild cleaners to no avail. The side windows are glass, does the plexi mean the fronts have been replaced?

I want to take the upper ( or rather the refinishers want) bumpers off the boat wood strip at the top with the chrome strip it is rough and also broken from a poor docking by the looks of it. Is this advisable?

the interior teak have issues and I am thinking to just replace the badly stained with new ply, where should I go for this? I have found exotic woods in a forum here and one other they are about $170 per 2x8 3/8 sheet, is this about right?

Also the rear hatch is awol, looking for a pic so I can remake one

I am feeling really lucky that I have an industrial shop to park this at and my own wood shop to work in, my neighbour at our complex does furnature restoration and they are on board to do the wood refinishing

thats it for now, hear it is 6 am on a Sunday and I am pumped to get at her!!

Dave