Exhaust gas smoke

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bobg

Exhaust gas smoke

Post by bobg »

My 12M aft cabin has Crusader 454s and I have noticed the starboard engine is smoking a bit even running at full temp - gas, not oil. Listening carefully it seems to be misfiring a little bit although it is hard to hear with the way the Internationals muffle the exhaust through the hull.

I plan to start looking for this issue this coming weekend and wanted to see if you guys have any additional suggestions on what to look for.

I have already re-timed both engines. I plan to start with the choke as this seems to be the most likely culprit. If that looks OK, then back to the ignition system. Starting with examining the plugs for fouling and gap. Then wires, cap, rotor, and coil.

You guys have any suggestions or other ideas?
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

those are good places to start, look thur old post you'll find a lot of different reasons for it. last year I had one doing it, did the tune up thing and most of it went a way. then found a bad fuel pump that was leaning her out on the top end. Are you running corn gas ? if so how long ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
bobg

Post by bobg »

The previous owner said that he ran non-ethanol gas and de-tuned the engines to run 87 octane. My marina has 89 but it does contain ethanol. I just filled up the back tank but I am still running on the reserve tanks which he filled (only had the boat for a month).

I hadn't thought of the fuel pump, but it seems to do it at all engine speeds.
bobg

Post by bobg »

After you mentioned the fuel pump I thought of something else - float/needle-valve. It's been a while since I pulled apart a carburator and this one will be a pain to work on due to location - may have to pull it off.

Do you guys know which carb Crusader used I haven't checked. Is it a Quadrajet?
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

most likely a Q-jet, but start with the simple things first.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Doubt its a Qjet (could be though) - probably a Carter AFB ... what year?

Unless you've rebuilt your carb with Viton float needle seals, they will deteriorate with the ethanol. Not sure how long, but it will happen. I just put a new set of Viton seals in my Qjet - and it runs good now - we'll see if it lasts (supposed to).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
bobg

Post by bobg »

alexander38 wrote:most likely a Q-jet, but start with the simple things first.
I agree with starting with the simple stuff, I am simply coming up with a checklist.

After crawling around in an engine compartment for hours and bruising a few knuckles, my mood will start to deteriorate (along with my vocabulary) and I won't be thinking clearly :wink: . A checklist helps me to remember all the things to look for. I hate getting home - hour drive - and thinking "I forgot to check for that"
bobg

Post by bobg »

rossjo wrote:Doubt its a Qjet (could be though) - probably a Carter AFB ... what year?

Unless you've rebuilt your carb with Viton float needle seals, they will deteriorate with the ethanol. Not sure how long, but it will happen. I just put a new set of Viton seals in my Qjet - and it runs good now - we'll see if it lasts (supposed to).
Boat is 88 model. Thanks for the needle valve tip. I will look into that. Would the Viton be typically available at local marine parts dealers?
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

bobg wrote:[ Would the Viton be typically available at local marine parts dealers?
Yes they are and at most Automotive parts stores also. Just get the carb number off of yours and call around. Just about all of the kits that I have seen lately come with the Viton.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Be careful - my Qjet rebuild kit from NAPA last year was NOT Viton. I had to special order (http://www.cliffshighperformance.com) the Viton seals and Accel pump. NAPA has a lot of old stock, and I'm sure the others do as well.

I would not count on the counter guy at the Auto (not Marine) parts store knowing if its Viton or not. Talking to Cliff (above), he says there are about 5 generations of Viton now, and the latest gen is the best ...

Why chance it? Its cheap - and the cost is your time doing 2 carbs ... (I do mine right on the engine, but use hemostats to make sure I don't drop screws in the carbs).

What carbs do you have? Are the square-bore (same size in all four bores) or spread-bore (smaller bore in front, larger in rear)?
bobg

Post by bobg »

rossjo wrote:Be careful - my Qjet rebuild kit from NAPA last year was NOT Viton. I had to special order (http://www.cliffshighperformance.com) the Viton seals and Accel pump. NAPA has a lot of old stock, and I'm sure the others do as well.

I would not count on the counter guy at the Auto (not Marine) parts store knowing if its Viton or not. Talking to Cliff (above), he says there are about 5 generations of Viton now, and the latest gen is the best ...

Why chance it? Its cheap - and the cost is your time doing 2 carbs ... (I do mine right on the engine, but use hemostats to make sure I don't drop screws in the carbs).

What carbs do you have? Are the square-bore (same size in all four bores) or spread-bore (smaller bore in front, larger in rear)?
I am not sure yet what carbs are on it yet. Plan to check this weekend when I go to the marina. I don't think I have enough room above the carb to be able to see what I am doing to leave it on the engine while I rebuild it. The salon deck above it is too close.

Is there a way to visually tell if the parts are Viton so I can check it before I buy a kit?
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

bobg wrote:
rossjo wrote:Be careful - my Qjet rebuild kit from NAPA last year was NOT Viton. I had to special order (http://www.cliffshighperformance.com) the Viton seals and Accel pump. NAPA has a lot of old stock, and I'm sure the others do as well.

I am not sure yet what carbs are on it yet. Plan to check this weekend when I go to the marina. I don't think I have enough room above the carb to be able to see what I am doing to leave it on the engine while I rebuild it. The salon deck above it is too close.

Is there a way to visually tell if the parts are Viton so I can check it before I buy a kit?

No way you want to rebuild it on the engine. There is a ball bearing and springs inside. If you drop one those in the intake. Its a lot more trouble, then you will have to remove the intake to get that stuff out.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
bobg

Post by bobg »

Thanks everyone for all your help. I am at the boat and here is the latest. Choke appears to be fine - carb is a quadrajet. I started pulling plugs down the inboard side of the engine. 1,3, and 5 look good - minor carbon fouling. But 7 is badly gas fouled. So this should isolate the problem to wires, cap, or rotor.

I am trying to figure out what distributor I have to get the right cap and rotor. Service manual says engine came with Prestolite, Mallory, or Delco distributors. Prestolite and Mallory were conventional while Delco was electronic. These distributors are Prestolite, but I can't find any points in there. So I assume these engines got an electronic conversion at some point. If that is the case, would the part number on the outside of the distributor be enough to get the right parts? Or would the internals of the original distributor have been changed such that I now need to get more information off the internal parts of the distributor?
bobg

Post by bobg »

BTW rossjo, the quadrajet was spread bore.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Right - Qjets (later mfgd by Edelbrock) are the only spread bore 4BBL.

If its a square bore 4BBL, its a Holley, Motorcraft or Carter AFB.

I'm not sure on the distributor for a Crusader - have a Mercruiser myself - someone else here will know ... good luck!