Anyone use a Tankless Water Heater on their boat?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

myakka

Post by myakka »

you could use an indirect water heater and heat with your closed cooling engine hot water. I think they used to make a 20 gallon boilermate(amtrol)
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

removed......
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

:shock: :shock:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

darn paul I thought Diesel was the great safe power source. It seems with the Marine MKD onan diesel genny running in the same compartment as two v8s with with spark ignition the danger would be nill. But I will check.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Larry . the diesel gen sets are safer in the right place , but no need to have "Ignition protected" starters , alternators and the generator it self , when there are no gas fumes around .

It would be like putting a car starter and alternator on you gas engines .
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Thanks paul I will check it out, I can tell you the alternator is safe, as it is very small and totally sealed, assuming the starter is the same, what would be the danger. FYI it is dfinitely a marine genny I will contact Cummins/Onan for follow-up.

I also have full service etc manuals and will review there as well. Not saying you are incorrect but wish to confirm. I can see your point.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

larryeddington wrote:Thanks paul I will check it out, I can tell you the alternator is safe, as it is very small and totally sealed, assuming the starter is the same, what would be the danger. FYI it is dfinitely a marine genny I will contact Cummins/Onan for follow-up.

I also have full service etc manuals and will review there as well. Not saying you are incorrect but wish to confirm. I can see your point.
I know its a marine genny . I can tell you the alt. and starters on my main engines are NOT Ignition protected . Not sure on my genset but the gen it self is pretty open .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BTW diesel gensets need to run on high load or they glaze up Cylinders . I don't know if you can turn on enough stuff to put a good load on it . Thats a big genset . ( same size that comes on a 45 viking )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Paul, good point about load, will have AC, hot water, Battery Charge and stove top a fair amount and will not run all the time. The genny part of the assembly does indeed have vent openings, not sure if screen protected but it is a brushless genny (no sparks) which is what is usually used on boats or hazardous areas. Most of the home gennys have brushes, ergo why they are much cheaper.

Am going to consult with Cummins/Onan in any case, if it should be used will try to sell. It is a good one.

Maybe I need to get a bigger boat? :wink:
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Bigger boat Why did I not think of that :D ,
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

larryeddington wrote:Paul, good point about load, will have AC, hot water, Battery Charge and stove top a fair amount and will not run all the time. The genny part of the assembly does indeed have vent openings, not sure if screen protected but it is a brushless genny (no sparks) which is what is usually used on boats or hazardous areas. Most of the home gennys have brushes, ergo why they are much cheaper.

Am going to consult with Cummins/Onan in any case, if it should be used will try to sell. It is a good one.

Maybe I need to get a bigger boat? :wink:
Larry I have a 6.5 Onan and can run all the stuff on the boat and still have the genny running smooth and not bogged down...but now when the Wife turns her 1800 watt hair drier then a full load hits her... :lol:

the oilburner gen-set is a great ideal but making sure it's IP for a gasser is a must. Please make sure it's right...we don't want hear about you or the boat on you-tube :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Be assured I will be sure of its safety before I install and use. Back to original topic, I was going to use a tankless but not enough temp rise for the current used for me.

Alex I will be able to use several hari driers if needed. :roll:
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink