Alternator rebuild help please

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

7421f

Alternator rebuild help please

Post by 7421f »

My Starboard engine alternator has quit working and I want to rebuild it myself. I have successfully rebuilt many auto alternators, but never even opened a marine one up. I want to be darn sure I can keep it eccentrically safe. Have any forum members rebuilt their own? I have Google'd this with very limited results. It's a 1984 7.4 mark 4 Crusader engine.

Thanks!
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Alternator rebuild help please

Post by larryeddington »

I have not rebuilt mine but I have disassembled them to clean the gunk that was in the. particularly the screens. I believe the only difference lies in any place where air could enter or exit the alternator has a screen wire spark arrestor there. My old Chrysler prestolite nators have the brushes and slip rings external to the main housing but sealed in a can centered on the shaft. In other words think spark arresting.

If your are the traditional looking old style Delco remys they should be quite simple, just make sure they have the airways protected. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink