Oil Pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Oil Pressure

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Gauges for upper and lower stations reading max at 80 plus for port engine. Starboard 35 + on both, these are rebuilt 318s with approx 25 / 40 hours. Oil and filter change done last fall at haul out. Using rotella 40 weight. Thought and suggestions please. A mechanic I am not, but somehow will get through.
Thanks
Season is short, we make the best of it.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by mikeandanne »

If you had them rebuilt talk to your engine guy------ but the only way I know to check those numbers is to remove the oil pressure sending unit from engine and put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in there and see what numbers you get----- to check the sending unit you could swap them side to side

35 plus pounds pressure is actually plenty--- engine is quiet etc???----- I believe most of the warning devices are around 15 pounds and under--- Mike
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Be sure they are the correct senders. On dual helm models, they are different senders and require the correct ones. You just can't install regular oil pressure senders...you could change out the sender from the port to the starboard then see what readings you get. Simple enough!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

If readings are correct, am I doing some damage by running this way!
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Actually, I'd be more concerned with the 80psi+ than the 35.
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

The 80+ is my concern, when I start the engine pressure reads about 60 and the goes off the end within a minute, will try to switch starboard to port as suggested, but currently not at the boat until this sunday.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Away On Busine$$ wrote:The 80+ is my concern, when I start the engine pressure reads about 60 and the goes off the end within a minute, will try to switch starboard to port as suggested, but currently not at the boat until this sunday.
In my opinion there is no problem with 80 psi oil pressure,but after engine start and as the oil warms the pressure generally drops so methinks there may a gauge or sender issue------- just swap things around as already suggested to double check ,then you can sleep nights.

One question,has this been the same since you have had the boat???---- or is this since the oil change--- Mike
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Mike, thanks for your thoughts. Answer is I don't know, very little run time since we purchased boat and did not pay much attention to this issue. But were learning!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Let us know when you figure it out. One of mine is doing same thing. Gonna get a manual gauge, I have extra sender to try as well. Upper and lower gauges agree so most likely not gauge end, ah but the sender it could be.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

guys I just went thru the same sort of problem---prev owner had put new gauges in upper so with the lowers being the old type ac gauges they don't match and will interfere with each other------so the fix for me was to get four new oil pressure and four new engine temp gauges that all match with new matching dual station sending units for both the pressure and temp-----voila everything works as it should now---I should say that I did trouble shoot all the connections and wiring first--

previously oil pressure would read ok but then act as if it were backwards and the temp gauges lower would read 180 when the real temp was closer to 155-----not really too expensive when you consider the lack of stress from knowing what is going on---Mike
vickyb

Post by vickyb »

I have the same issue on mine. My port side gauge flutters 90-100 and the person I bought the boat from said its a busted gauge. Lots of good information here and I am going to try and swap things around.
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

As it turns out my upper gauge is faulty, when disconnected the lower gauge now reads in the forty range at idle. Will be getting a new gauge for upper station.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You may have a single station sender , did it read normal at one time or has it always done this ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Not an answer I can provide! Is food for thought, we will know soon. Thanks
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Don't know what is causing your problem but I just solved the exact same thing on my Starboard engine after a new install. I can only guess that during the handling of the engine package as they were installed the bullet connector fell off the sender. I was surprised the tech that did the install did not check out the high oil pressure. I found it and put it on and magic all fixed both engines have proper oil pressure. Also put back on correct belt and tightened bolts not tightened by tech. Now double checking his $$$$$ expensive work, won't use him again.

At the same time, which was my bad, the water temp gauges did not indicate on that same engine. I could not imagine that you could switch the warning sensor and the temp sensor as one has a spade lug and the other a slip on from the side type of pin. But believe it or not both plugs will work on either sensor and I got them wrong on one engine. Magic, fixed. :oops:

A question for anybody, my 318s have the original alternators with voltage regulator not being in the alternator but under the plastic cover and they work fine, does anyone know why there is an oil pressure sensor (not for gauges) just like the oil warning sensor. It is series with the voltage regulator and battery terminal on starter switch. It seems to me it would keep the charging system from getting excited until engine is running and oil pressure present. But I cannot understand why?
:?
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink