the vent question - F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

georgepet

the vent question - F32

Post by georgepet »

Thought I'd start this as a different thread.

Mine is a 1979, but it is a late 1979, the boat came off the line in late November 1979, and was shipped to the first owner in February of 1980. So in my books, its a 1980 model year if you will.

It is true, vent placement was changed after the Sea Mar tragedy, and the forward vents moved off the hull and I'm not certain if the aft vent direction was altered. But as other boats have the same configuration, I believe it to be accurate and dovetails with the original documentation I have.

Some asked for a photo of the full boat - here it is
20140809_161502.jpg
20140809_161502.jpg (176.46 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
George P
1978 Trojan F32 "Defiant"
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: the vent question - F32

Post by mikeandanne »

Yes that is different from mine and ready's, ours are 78's , when I saw your signature with a 78 f32 that is what caught my interest with the vents......I have often thought that your year boat on up has the much better vent setup to the 78 ...Mike
Attachments
IMG_0110.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 7122 times
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

georgepet you do not have the same style vents as Sea Mar did, the boat below, mikeanddanne does as do my two Trojan F32's, and for the record his and mine all face this way, this design was later changed to what you have to prevent taking in water in rough seas
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

K4282 wrote:georgepet you do not have the same style vents as Sea Mar did, the boat below, mikeanddanne does as do my two Trojan F32's, and for the record his and mine all face this way, this design was later changed to what you have to prevent taking in water in rough seas
k4282 Tell me something ,my aft vents have a block off plate o the inside that covers about 2/3 of the lower part of the aft vent..I think you can just see it in the pic......wonder if yours are the same and was this an early fix or just original...Thanks Mike
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Mike, mine is a 1975,delivered in 76 my rear vents face forward and have the same block off. slanting front to rear. I can not attest to this being original or modified as we have only owned for 3 years.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I have a 78 also and have the same area blocked off at the bottom of the rear intake vents. I assumed that it was to prevent water from entering. Having read about the F32 that sank, I installed a 3500 gph pump with an auto switch in the lazarette, just in case. I have thought about reversing the vents so that the rear vents faced aft and the forward vents faced forward. Has anyone done that and if so, how has it worked out? With the forward vents being higher up, they may not be as likely to take on water.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

I am not sure if it makes more sense to reverse the vents from a water penetration standpoint, but what I did do was add another blower. We now have six 4" tubes. With 1 each with intake and outtake blowers to keep things ventalated.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Away On Busine$$ wrote:I am not sure if it makes more sense to reverse the vents from a water penetration standpoint, but what I did do was add another blower. We now have six 4" tubes. With 1 each with intake and outtake blowers to keep things ventalated.
You run those all the time?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I believe that F32 that sank either had no aft bilge pump or it was inoperable. Underway the F32 bilge water will travel Aft, stationary it collects Fwd.... so two working pumps are necessary Fore & Aft.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Only at idle or dead slow.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I actually have 4 bilge pumps installed. The 3500 gph in the lazarette in case of major water intake underway. I have glassed the forward engine room bulkhead closed so I have a 2000 gph installed forward in the engine room with a 500 gph with a remote pickup mounted down inside what used to be the hollow keel to "mop up" any small amounts of water in the now open keel. I have a 1000 gph mounted forward under the vee berth for small leaks at rest.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

mikeandanne wrote:
K4282 wrote:georgepet you do not have the same style vents as Sea Mar did, the boat below, mikeanddanne does as do my two Trojan F32's, and for the record his and mine all face this way, this design was later changed to what you have to prevent taking in water in rough seas
k4282 Tell me something ,my aft vents have a block off plate o the inside that covers about 2/3 of the lower part of the aft vent..I think you can just see it in the pic......wonder if yours are the same and was this an early fix or just original...Thanks Mike
My 73 had the wrong vents when I got her, she was free so I couldnt complain, A previous owner put Home Depot type dryer vents over the holes. I ordered 4 custom/replica vents from Bob here which do not block off the lower part of the vent. My 74 I bought last fall has what I believe to be original vents all have the extra block off piece inside. I recently removed them to be powder coated over the winter. As for the Sea Mar I read it did not have a aft bilge pump. My 73 has one, wired in only with a float switch, 2 pumps total one bow and one stern, the shower drains to the bilge, I believe my 74 to be the same its possible the shower has a seprate one, im still familarizing myself with it
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Here the link again for the sinking of the sea mar for those who don't know

http://michiganshipwrecks.org/shipwreck ... seamar-iii
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express