Shower pump running continuously. Need some tips

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Oxblood

Shower pump running continuously. Need some tips

Post by Oxblood »

Hello all,

I have an 81 TriCabin. On my DC breaker panel are two switches for Shower P. Up is for auto. Am I correct in assuming these are pumps for the shower's sump? I noticed late yuesterday that all of a sudden one of the pumps was running continuously. It was not doing so before. I know that a pump, or pumps were functioning properly prior to this, as you could hear them kick in and pump out the sump through the through-hull on the port side.

I have inspected the aft bilge, and it is dry (a very small amount of moisture in the hollow false keel, negligible trickle).

When I turn off the left, or first switch, the pump stops running.

Am I correct in assuming these are sump pumps? Also, where do I access them? I see no way to get to them via the aft bilge, as the fuel tank is IN the pedestal bed, and for the life of me I cannot find a removable hatch in the main stateroom's head.

I would appreciate any advice that anyone can pass along.

Cheers,

Kai
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: Shower pump running continuously. Need some tips

Post by aaronbocknek »

kai. the aft shower sump is right infront of the aft berth. there should be an access hatch right there. mine did the same thing until i cleaned the float. DO NOT IGNORE this location. it can get really nasty. after brad and i use the boat and head out, i always drain that sump so nothing sits in it. i use a small fluid extractor, a turkey baster works great too. just decant the water into a bucket and dump over. it's not the greatest set up, and trojan went cheap on that one, but, for now, it works. there are also 3 bilge pumps. aft, center in engine room, and forward just infront of the fwd head below the cabin sole. i'm in boston now on a trip, but i can always answer a question.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. I suspected it may be the float stuck. Thanks for confirming that.

The access hatch. You note it is in front of the aft birth. I lifted the carpet as far as the aft head's door way, but did not notice anything that could be easily lifted. Do I need to liuft the carpet even further back? is the hatch screwed in place, or is it easily lifted out?

Cheers,

Kai
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

The forward shower sump in my '85 does not have a float. There is a wall switch that operates the pump. Could that be on, and why a pump is running continuously? You didn't say which one was running.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

My shower pump is just aft of the v birth door; the floor access panel has at least 4 screws, maybe more which made me think it wouldn't be under there. It would be nice if it was easier to get to--I get in there at least twice a month to clean out the pre-filter. It gets clogged quickly.
I have an on off switch in the backslash in the head--nothing automatic--no float
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

My '79 Tri-cabin has the pump located as Aaron indicated under the floor right outside the access door to the head but it has no float switch. It is operated by a rocker switch on the port side wall panel in the aft head where the shower is.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Well????
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!