Sherwood G-7 Raw Water Pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RichSchink

Sherwood G-7 Raw Water Pump

Post by RichSchink »

I'm trying to remove the V belt pulley on the G-7 pump. From all I have read it seems they are pushed onto the shaft. I made a special setup & tried everything including applying heat to the pulley hub. It won't move... any ideas?
Thanks in advance...
Attachments
20151108_142446-001 (Small).jpg
20151108_142446-001 (Small).jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
1974 F 32 Sedan "Debra Lee"
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Sherwood G-7 Raw Water Pump

Post by larryeddington »

They definitely are pressed on, I know I bent up a pulley which are available about $65. Not a good choice. All of the pullys do not have the three holes to pull on. I would suggest as you are replacing bearings and all put a good pull on it as you have or by the edges and apply heat to the hub. After all you do not need to reuse any parts but the shaft, housing and pully.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
RichSchink

Post by RichSchink »

Thanks Larry,
I just called the marina & was told they are pressed on. They have a 10 ton press there so I will bring it over tomorrow & have them press it off.
I pick up the the Sherwood total rebuild kits( Sherwood #23977) which comes with all the replacement parts. Sad to say the bearings that came with the kit are mfg' in China (what else is new)!

Rich
1974 F 32 Sedan "Debra Lee"
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

mines is bigger than theirs I got a 20 ton, LOL. I could not press it off as you need a way to support the back of the pully. Maybe they have a tool that will do it. I just used the same puller you are using. Heat the hub and I bet it will come right off. Good luck.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Heres an oldie but goodie: Lube, tighten (really) and let it sit out. Come back and torch it. Get ready to duck!
Patriciamarie

Post by Patriciamarie »

I would support the pump in a stationary press the tool your looking for has two rods about 5/8 thread with horseshoe jaws to support the pully center so not to distort the pully and push the shaft through the pully, basialy reverse what your doing.good luck.
Steve