good reading trojan wars

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

good reading trojan wars

Post by prowlersfish »

For those who have not read it and those that what to read it again

http://www.acbs.org/rudder/oldrudder/Ru ... rojan1.htm
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

here's a little information that the board may be interested in.

http://www.seahuntadventures.com/Argonaut/argonaut.html

yep-that's right Mike Nelson's boat was a Trojan.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Good reading. Thanks guys.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Thanks for sharing ...
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

trojan boats

Post by aaronbocknek »

wow paul, this was such a great read. i've always loved those solid trojan masts!!! when bubala 3 was made, i actually asked if they could put one on her, but the guys in canada said the cabin top was not designed to hold the weight. in reading the price list for the model 3400, $17,295.00 was a hell of a lot of money in 1960. in 1959, my folks bought their house in mclean virginia(the west lewinsville subdivision split level by broyhill on 3/4 of an acre at the end of a cul-de-sac) for just over 27K. thanks again for the fond memories. this was great!!
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Thanks for posting the articles. Enjoyed the read.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
gjrylands
Moderate User

Re: trojan boats

Post by gjrylands »

aaronbocknek wrote:wow paul, this was such a great read. i've always loved those solid trojan masts!!!
aaron
My 64 Trojan had a beautiful mahogany mast. The mast was signature of the early Trojans. When I got my 69 Trojan the mast had been replaced with a stainless steel tube with a wooden wing slid over it. It functioned just like the mahogany mast of the 64, but the signature was gone. After reading the article it seamed to be one of the cost cuts that Trojan made in the late 60’s.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

Good reading. With all the past glory of Trojan, I'm wondering why we Trojan lovers don't band together and resurrect the Trojan name in a new boat: start making and marketing it, & go through the adventure the McQueens & Hulls & Warners did!!!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

david, i have been thinking about this very thing. you took the thought right out of my brain. with all the ''express'' boats around these days, there has to be some desire for a 'classic style' cruiser. at the baltimore boat show i got so bored of the same things from bayliner, sea ray and the like. the ONLY vessels that captured my eye and imagination were the PY CRUISER from island packet yachts, and the small tug boat/trawler built by ranger tug. since carver purchased the trojan assests, i believe they still hold the copy write to the name. if, however, under the 'use it or loose it clause', the name is not used for i believe 7 years, then the name can be bought/used by another company. i would love for someone to recreate the legacy of trojan yachts using the f-32/f-36 sedan and the popular tri cabin designs using modern materials. sign me up for the project. i'm a wiz at interior design and color combinations, and i think there is enough talent here to do it. too bad the economy is in such nasty shape, because i think the idea holds merit.
perhaps, the new name could be CLASSIC CRUISER YACHTS, BUILT IN THE FINE TRADITION OF TROJAN BOATS.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

If my memory serves me right ..... Juice has or had something in the works with building some sweet looking vessels. Or am I loosing it? (my mind)?
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes juice is , the only thing is Juice thinks all hulls must be Blue
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Not to be a wet blanket but:
Now is not the time to be starting a boating company-
1) Carver crushed the molds shortly after buying the company
2) Wood is not an option-you would never be able to find a quality source of hardwoods and even if you could the enviornmentalist would block your efforts to import the hardwoods.
3) Quality craftsmanship would be a problem-you could try the Lancaster area again-because of the Amish but the craftsmanship neccessary to build a quality boat is not to be found in this country.
I think someone would be better off trying to locate old trojans and do a thorough restoration. There will always be a market, albeit small, for restored classics (just like cars).
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There is Quality craftsmanship in the USA in many areas incuding boat building . In fact I belive we still have the best in the world !
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

i totally agree with paul about the craftsmanship. when i was at the annapolis and baltimore boat shows, i actually saw quality wood work done on nordic tugs, island packet yachts and ranger tug. there are sustainable woods that can be used and mirror the look and feel of teak. the one thing that struck me the most on the above 3 builders was, 1. the way the wood was joined and the smoothness of the edges. 2. all hardware, i.e. screws and such on the nordic tug and the py cruiser were paraded. in other words, the screw heads were all facing the same direction. on the nordic tug, the grain on the teak bungs were going in the same direction that the cabinets had----that is something normally found on a grand banks. nordic,island packet and ranger are all made right here in the USA, by USA workers. as for the molds being destroyed, with computer technology being what it is today, there is no reason why the vessels that are around today cannot be laser scanned and the dimensions input into the computer and translated into a mold. the other option is to directly copy a hull and that is fairly easy to do too. i do like the idea of a rehab and that can be viable too. there are many ways to remake a classic. all that is needed is time, resources and the market to sell it to. as for the workforce, i think there are many people out there that would love to do this...... hell, if were asked to be a helper in a boat yard during my 'down time' i would do it in a minute. while i understand that the market has shrunk, there are people out there willing to pay for quality vessels, that will not break the bank (lol) and are built by people that actually care. i personally do not think there is a better boat builder than those that have passion for boating. i actually spoke with the the president of nordic tug at the annap boat show and i loved his passion for these vessels and the way he spoke about them.
i think the same could be done for a revived TROJAN brand. but, it has to be unique in the market place, and directly marketed to those that enjoy the classic look of the vessels.
that's my soapbox for the morning.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

i totally agree with paul about the craftsmanship. when i was at the annapolis and baltimore boat shows, i actually saw quality wood work done on nordic tugs, island packet yachts and ranger tug. there are sustainable woods that can be used and mirror the look and feel of teak. the one thing that struck me the most on the above 3 builders was, 1. the way the wood was joined and the smoothness of the edges. 2. all hardware, i.e. screws and such on the nordic tug and the py cruiser were paraded. in other words, the screw heads were all facing the same direction. on the nordic tug, the grain on the teak bungs were going in the same direction that the cabinets had----that is something normally found on a grand banks. nordic,island packet and ranger are all made right here in the USA, by USA workers. as for the molds being destroyed, with computer technology being what it is today, there is no reason why the vessels that are around today cannot be laser scanned and the dimensions input into the computer and translated into a mold. the other option is to directly copy a hull and that is fairly easy to do too. i do like the idea of a rehab and that can be viable too. there are many ways to remake a classic. all that is needed is time, resources and the market to sell it to. as for the workforce, i think there are many people out there that would love to do this...... hell, if were asked to be a helper in a boat yard during my 'down time' i would do it in a minute. while i understand that the market has shrunk, there are people out there willing to pay for quality vessels, that will not break the bank (lol) and are built by people that actually care. i personally do not think there is a better boat builder than those that have passion for boating. i actually spoke with the the president of nordic tug at the annap boat show and i loved his passion for these vessels and the way he spoke about them.
i think the same could be done for a revived TROJAN brand. but, it has to be unique in the market place, and directly marketed to those that enjoy the classic look of the vessels.
that's my soapbox for the morning.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com