1963 Trojan 31ft

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jetwoody

1963 Trojan 31ft

Post by jetwoody »

hello all,
i have an opportunity to pick up a 1963 Trojan. This boat is in the water and last ran last summer. The hull looks good but the upper cabin wood is rotting and would need the entire upper section would need to be completly rebuilt.
The title shows the hull id #433029

i am wondering if this boat would be worth restoring and how and where would I get all the info I would need to do this.

I would get this boat for free. All I would have to do is pick it up and move it about 200 miles. This boat is in Oregon.

i would appreciate all the help I can get, since I am new to the restoring of wooden boats. I have built wood Kayaks and such and am the owner of a woodworking business so I do have the woodworking experiance, just not that much in the boat world.

thank you
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

When you say worth restoring what do you mean? If it is to be able to sell it for what you put in then my answer would be no. If it is for the satisfaction of doing the work and then enjoying the vessel once restored then I would say maybe. :)

It can be a lot of work... most people here own glass versions so your resources may be somewhat limited.

I will stand back and see if any woodies come out of the woodwork. :wink:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
jetwoody

Post by jetwoody »

I would eventually sell it, but for the most part it would be used by myself and family.
I would be doing this for the experiance and for the satisfaction and thrill of having a nice wooden boat to cruise around in.
This would not be for an investment. (unless i got lucky)

If this may not be the correct site for the woody versions, than would anyone know of a site more suited for my purposes?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

jetwoody wrote:If this may not be the correct site for the woody versions, than would anyone know of a site more suited for my purposes?
Why not try the Wooden Boat Forum?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/index.php?s ... 88eafad1a2
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

it's worth it if it makes you happy. nevermind about resale. look at my link & you'll see it's worth it.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
jetwoody

Post by jetwoody »

thanks all.
i will try the wooden boat forum.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Jet, the wooden boat foraum is great but don't dismiss the value of this one. Being Trojan specific makes all the difference in the world with certain systems.

Ya, as an investment, probably not a financially smart move. Having said that, there sure are a hell of alot of restored woodies out there that are worth some big bucks. But I don't use mine for show, I use it for fun RIGHT NOW. Not worried about how much it'll be worth in the future. The fun now is priceless. SO ARE STARES AND WORDS OF PRAISE from fibreglass boat owners. Sorry guys, couldn't resist!!

It is a lot of work; a labour of love, but I love my boat.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D - how much do you know about the history of your boat? Specifically, do you know if it was ever named Rainbow?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I can go back a number of years/owners and as far as I know, it was never named Rainbow. I seem to recall one out of Hamilton a number of years back though.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

That's why I was asking... I was wondering if you had Bob's old 36... Looks like a beauty in any event.
jetwoody

Post by jetwoody »

Big D,
I will keep checking both sites and any others where i can find help.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to get it from where it is at and to my home in Salem, OR. I do not have any means of moving it so I am trying to find someone or a service that does this kind of thing.

The boat is in central Oregon and would have to be moved about 175 miles or so.

Anybody know of someone around this area?
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Norgard-Kirpatrick Boat transport in Longview, Wa. 45 miles from Portland. Owner Tim Kirkpatrick is a member of the Longview Yacht Club. His work phone is 360-425-5230. Not sure what he would charge to move a wooden boat.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"