Seacock or In-line ball valve for F-26 - Need advise

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

randyp
Active User

Seacock or In-line ball valve for F-26 - Need advise

Post by randyp »

My '77 F-26 did not come equipped with a seacock on the water inlet (the original invoice says this was a $40 option at the time of purchase...) It has a bronze strainer and fitting to a straight pipe, connected to the inlet hose off a 90 degree elbow. The lack of any water shut-off on this most vulnerable point has me thinking I can replace this the "easy way" by fitting an in-line ball valve between the inlet and the engine supply hose by mounting this valve on the current inlet fitting. Is there any pros and cons I need to know about or should I just install a seacock when the boat is pulled for the season?

Thanks
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Phosphour bronze

Post by Buckknekkid »

You should be more worried about the old through hull falling apart when you touch it.ask any welder. Put in a new one and be secure...
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
gopher

Post by gopher »

Good point...
Greg
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I know....I know.....just trying to take the easy way, but it makes more sense to put in a seacock. All the fittings are sound (strainer, inlet, etc.) It's a freshwater boat only used 3-4 months each season.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
gopher

Post by gopher »

I need to do the same.....
..surveyor had a bit of an issue with it missing....

Guess nobody did beofre, though....lol

The orig owners didn't opt for that valve or a shower when mine was commissioned back in '73. Nice solid boats, though
Greg
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Yep, they are that. Mine had a soft spot on the starboard bow deck - took care of it from the inside, but one of these days I'm going to do a better job of it. I've updated the plumbing, bilge, electrical, battery capacity, etc and the engine is in great shape. The lack of the seacock AND strainer between it and the engine intake makes me glad the boat's been on an inland freshwater lake! Taking it on the Erie Canal next summer so want to get more updates done before then.

Best
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Well

Post by rossjo »

Luck being what it is - now that you have identified a problem - it will probably go wrong!

No reason to gamble with your boat. I would do both - short term fix and long term solution, but not wait itoo long.

You may ruin the fitting trying to "fix" it now - and be up s**t creek (at at the bottom of it), so make sure it is really solid before messing with it.

Good luck my friend!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Thanks, Ross. The fittings are all sound and I'll wait until it's hauled out to mess with anything. Replacing the water heater and holding tank also, so I'll be spending some quality time hunkered down in the F-26's "engine tomb".
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

randyp: RE: 7/17/07 post: While an in-line ball valve will accomplish the task of shutting the intake water off if needed, the combined ball valve-on-top-of-the-thru hull installation is taller than a proper seacock installation (which is screwed directly to the bottom of the boat), and could snap off if accidentally struck... probably at the exposed thru-hull threads.

It costs more, but a seacock is designed and built for the task.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT