Crusader 270 head gasket replacement cost?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Crusader 270 head gasket replacement cost?

Post by P-Dogg »

Has anyone replaced head gaskets on a 270 crusader recently? I'm looking at a boat that needs head gaskets at least, and am trying to get a feel for the amount of ca$h it would take to change them out. Engines are brackish raw water cooled and show evidence of prior water leakes between the head and block, but don't leak at the moment. Did I mention they are 27 years old? Thanks, Perry
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

For what it's worth, yes I have done this job in my boat.

However, let me say that if the heads have been leaking for a while or sitting for a while, you can change the head gaskets, do what you want with the valve train, reassemble and hope for the best. It's my opinion and experience that it's a short lived repair. If the bearings and rings have water intrusion, it's just a matter of time before they're done.

But, if this is something where the engines were routinely run and then developed a head gasket leak and you repair this leak immediately, you have better chances of some good boating.

Replacement heads, remanufactured will set you back at least 200.00-250.00 per head, bare...unless you go with used head complete, which you'd be wise to have a machine shop thoroughly go through, which will cost some as well...if, they are good and repairable.

Are you looking at a boat where this needs attention? A bit more info would be helpful.- Good luck.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

The subject boat is a 1985 Tricab with 622 hours on 270 Crusaders. Raw water cooled without so much as an actual strainer, clamshell scoops on the pick-ups only. The front and rear oil seals leak, and cannot be replaced with the engines in their mounts. The starboard inboard head shows evidence of prior coolant leak between the head and the block. The owner did not know about the leak, so it was not fixed right away. There is no evidence of water in the oil. The 16 compressions range between 145 and 170 PSI.

I started this thread while awaiting my dinner. On the hour-long drive home it ocurred to me, why bother replacing the head gasket on a cast-iron machine that has been cooled by whatever water the boat has been in for the last 27 years? What are the chances that you will do more harm than good trying to remove parts that have been attached for so long? At what point do you just ensure that you have a good core and repower?

If you were in danger of buying this boat, what would you do? The boat has some other issues (loose vee struts port and starboard, leaking underwater exhaust -- between the backing plate and the hull where the exhaust is discharged underwater), but is in generally good shape otherwise, i.e., no hull damage or unusual stress cracking (just the dash to the right of the companionway, which the owner and Sir Aaron of Baltimore both attribute to someone standing on the dash). The decks and stringers are moist, but not delaminated or soft. Would you skip it and move on? Ask the owner to replace all 4 head gaskets (only one is bad, but they were all born at basically the same time)? Ask the owner to reduce the cost by the amount of the head gasket change and put the cash toward repower in the winter? Something else? I inch ever closer to my first happiest day.....
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I asked myself these questions. I came up with 2 answers. #1 do you have free time and like projects. #2 do I have endless funds. I jumped on the #1 not thinking of #2 because I do, do ok in todays messed up financial world. Just takes time no matter what way I decide. The mind will change 100 times per task no matter what road it takes. Follow your main interest and do what you want that suits your needs and abilities...We are all humans if you can make a call and afford to have it fixed, SWEET. If you can and want to get dirty and do it yourself, even BETTER IMO.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

"The decks and stringers are moist"

?? BY looking or meter ? meters are uless in most hands , should be used by some one thay knows how to easy to not understand reading
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

Meter -- No delamination or sponginess noted. It's just that some parts indicate moisture and some do not.

I agree that the correct interpretation of moisture content readings are elusive.