Shaft leak.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mds9972

Shaft leak.

Post by mds9972 »

Hi all! I'm probably posting this prematurely, since I have not seen the boat yet, but here goes....I'm being given a 1975 31' Trojan cabin cruiser with fly bridge, and twin Chrysler 318's Mind you, I'm BRAND NEW to boating, and have never operated one of any size ever! The boat I'm told has strong running engines, but one of them may need a module because it makes a popping sound while running, but the other runs fine? Also was told it has a "shaft leak" at an estimated $1,000 to repair. The owner said the bilge pump keeps up with the leak. My online research is showing the most likely culprit to be stuffing boxes needs repacking or adjustment? Any other thoughts on this issue? Also needs repair to soft wood on decks and around some Windows. This boat is free and lift kept. the guy is allowing me to keep it on his lift until July to give me time to make repairs. I can't ask for much more than that, but do not want to get in over my head! Especially since I have no idea about the water ways, or the boats that use them.
Thanks for any advice,
Mark

The Dog House
Active User

Re: Shaft leak.

Post by The Dog House »

Repacking the stuffing boxes will cost less than $100 if you do it yourself. There is a good article at www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box that shows you how to do it. I highly recommend using the Gore GFO packing material instead of the traditional flax.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Welcome to the world of boating... and to the forum. The packings are inexpensive and you can do the repairs yourself if you're somewhat mechanical. There's also lots of posts here on the subject of fiberglass repair and soft spots.

I highly recommend you pick up one these books as well and read every chance you get. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting- ... 1588169618
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Hi Mark

and welcome, I guess to be a realist, but don't confuse this with a pessimist , I would suggest you have the boat surveyed before you accept title to the boat. While you didn't explain this persons generosity in "giving" you a free boat, you did mention your naivety in boating.

A decent survey will cost 200 to 300 dollars and could save you thousands and taking someones problem, plus you will need a survey to insure the boat anyways. A survey will most likely discover to cause of the "shaft leak" plus a good indication of the fuel tanks, general condition of the engines, but not an in-depth engine survey. but a good surveyor can tell if the mechanical's have been cared for and if the boat is actually worth taking at all.

Remember, its a 1975 boat , its 39 years old...

If the fuel tanks are bad, you could be out 3 or 4 K to pull motors and have new tanks built and installed
7 to 8 thousand for engine rebuilds if you can't remove and replace them yourself
3-5K for new running gear if electrolysis has eaten up the underwater metals

My point is, you'll most likely need a marine survey to insure the boat and it could save you from taking someones problem.

Also, have you checked insurance rates and requirement, where will you keep it, trailer or a slip ? how much are Marina fees and are slips available ?

I have loved my old boats and I have the ability to repair and maintain almost everything myself, but as the old saying goes BOAT Break Out Another Thousand has a lot of truth in it.

good luck
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I agree with gettaway.

Plus $1000.00 to change the packings is crazy. $400 to $600 max. It doesn't take that long for someone who knows what they are doing. Hardest part is getting the old crap out.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

If the current owner is right about $1000 repair, it's not just a repacking job. Could be that the shaft log or stuffing box needs to be replaced, which means pulling the prop and shaft first.

The next question would be why would the shaft log or stuffing box need to be replaced? Has there been a collision and the shaft is bent? Then what about the strut? Then what about the transmission? Motor mounts? etc...

As gettaway says... it is best to go in to this with your eyes open.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

And that is an F30 not an F31.

So it is only thirty feet in length. Same model as mine.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

lawyerdave71 wrote:And that is an F30 not an F31.

So it is only thirty feet in length. Same model as mine.
I think they made a 31 in the early 70's, up until about '73 or '74.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I think we scared Mark off, sorry, that was not my intent :shock:
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
mds9972

Post by mds9972 »

lol....sorry folks! thanks for all of the replies and no one scared me off....hehe. This is exactly the info I'm looking for, since I've total ignorance when it comes to boating, and repairs/cost associated with it. what ever I end up with, will be my 1st so this is better than gold to me. The guy said it was 31 ft. from 1975. it's at a private slip on his property. Not much out tthere for F31, so now I'm beggining to wonder if it is an F30 or maybe 32??? The survey sounds like an excellent idea, since I'm not up for spending 10k on a boat that would only be worth 5k in good condition. I have checked out the slip availability and found one reasonable. I'm guessing stuffing boxes, only because of research online seems to point to that being the most common reason for a bilge area leak on many different boats. I have not checomes out insurance rates yet, and was unaware that a survey was needed to make the boat insurable thanks for the tips!!!! Um always open to advise, and have no issues with hearing the cold hard truth even when it hurts. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens, and thanks again....Just because it's free doesn't mean it won't cost money....
Mark
mds9972

Post by mds9972 »

another question....with a twin engine boat, if one of the engines were to fail while on the water, could you safely "limp" the boat back to shore on only one engine?
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Yes you can. It happened to me my first trip out after taking delivery of mine. Tough to put in the slip on one engine and a broken arm!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

mds9972 wrote:another question....with a twin engine boat, if one of the engines were to fail while on the water, could you safely "limp" the boat back to shore on only one engine?
Yes, I would not call it limping... You would be surprised how easy it is to maintain hull speed on one engine!
The only thing one should check is whether it is detrimental to the freewheelin' gearbox.... Not likely the case in your Trojan.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL