1976 Tri Fly Fuel System

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Christian
Sporadic User

1976 Tri Fly Fuel System

Post by Christian »

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the Tri Fly fuel system. more specifically the shut off valves. This morning I was looking at the engines, water separators and fuel system. As you can see in the picture below, the fuel filters are empty but the fuel valves are open. to me, that does not make sense.
IMGP2019smal.jpg
IMGP2019smal.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
IMGP2017small.jpg
IMGP2017small.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
when the engines were winterized, I would have thought that the fuel valves would have been closed and then the engines run dry. Is there any other valves? I found 2 others on top of the fuel tanks but that's it. Also, would there be a cross over valve to migrate fuel from 1 tank to the other? Finally, how do I replace the water separators. is it just a matter of unscrewing the filter element or is there a drain plug on the filter housing?

Christian
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: 1976 Tri Fly Fuel System

Post by Barrie »

Hey Christian, those are all the valves I was able to find on mine, also it's been my experience that there will always be air in the top of those see through filters.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I don't think there are any other valves unless a previous owner added later. You may however have a crossover valve but it's usually in a pretty obvious location.

Yes those are spin on/off filters. The in-line plastic see through filter on top of the engine on an inboard application is a no no. If you're going to use an in-line filter at the engine, it should be the metal canister type that have threaded ports which are used to tie into into fittings on metal lines from the pump to the carb. There should not be rubber fuel line on top of the engine from the pump to the carb. Do you have the tell tale clear hose going from the fuel pump to the bas of the carb? If so, do you see any fuel in it? A faulty pump may allow fuel to drain back and emptying that in-line filter.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:I don't think there are any other valves unless a previous owner added later. You may however have a crossover valve but it's usually in a pretty obvious location.

Yes those are spin on/off filters. The in-line plastic see through filter on top of the engine on an inboard application is a no no. If you're going to use an in-line filter at the engine, it should be the metal canister type that have threaded ports which are used to tie into into fittings on metal lines from the pump to the carb. There should not be rubber fuel line on top of the engine from the pump to the carb. Do you have the tell tale clear hose going from the fuel pump to the bas of the carb? If so, do you see any fuel in it? A faulty pump may allow fuel to drain back and emptying that in-line filter.
X2
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Thanks for the info guys!

I will fix it. Any advice on the type of lines I should use from the pump to the carb? I assume copper? What schedule?

Christian
canuckkb

Post by canuckkb »

On my boat there is a cross-over valve. It is located under the aft deck. There is an access door located on the aft wall, behind the ladder between the aft bunks. If you crawl in on your back and look up, it should be tight along the wall, underneath the heater. It may be hard to find because it is tucked in there, and there may be wire bundles as well. Also, you may need a spotter to pull you out by your feet.
76' 360 Tri-Fly
82' 260 SeaRay Sundancer
00' 200 Seahunt
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

original were steel, but regs call for pressure line from pump to carby to be of "metal" the original Chrysler filters in line where your clear one is at have treaded ends and are quite spendy to purchase. The metal pipe used needs to be double flared also.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink