Bilge Pump should be wired directly not behind master switch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ready123
Ultimate User

Bilge Pump should be wired directly not behind master switch

Post by ready123 »

Having read another sad story about power to bilge pumps being accidently turned off... I ask myself why would anyone have them switchable?

In my opinion bilge pumps should not be able to be switched off.... if you are not sure how your's are wired I would suggest you do a test to make sure that they are not turned off by any DC control switches.
My two DC switches shut down everything else but not the bilge pumps... looking at my F32 electrical diagram that is how they were wired from the factory.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

That is the way all my bilge pumps are wired - they are not switchable at all. The only way to shut them off is to totally disconnect the batteries and battery tender.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

No, ALL bilge pumps are not wired directly to the battery. In fact, most boat manufacturers (today) wire them to double-throw switches with "ON", "OFF" and "AUTO" positions. (I have 3 of my 4 boats this way - and have had many more before these).

Wiring directly to the battery is dangerous.

The safest solution for "in-water" vessels is multiple bilge pumps wired through fuses to separate batteries. The "Manual" pump mode can be wired safely to a switch.

In fact, since our Trojans typically drain forward at rest, its best to have 2 fore and 2 aft (the forward pumps will keep water out at the dock, and the aft pumps will pump water out underway).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Standard factory wiring on my '79 F32 had the pumps wired directly to power, AND switched power (so you can run them even if float switch doesn't kick them on). The wiring does not connect directly to the battery itself, but is tied in to the hot side and ground prior to the battery switches. You will also notice a dedicated fuse (or fuses depending on model) for the pumps in your fuse panel, with dedicated wiring going to it (ie not just feeding off the standard bus bar).
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Like I said, not "direct", but "direct with a fuse".
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

rossjo wrote:Like I said, not "direct", but "direct with a fuse".
Where did you get the idea of them being wired direct? I did not pick that up anywhere......
What I read was not switched by the main DC power switches.......
Michael
Done Dreamin'
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Who said anything about direct to the battery. Mine are not switchable and the only way to disable the auto function is to disconnect the batteries. Did I miss something?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

My f25 had two bilge pumps and auto floats one forward and one aft, wired to an auto-off-on switch, after my little incident where i almost sank the boat because i left the switches in off mode, I turned them off because i trailor the boat and not afraid of it sinking in my yard, I have put in two more pumps, one forward and one aft, and floats.all four floats are wired directly to the main fuse panel separately, two of the pumps are just wired to the floats and two are wired to an auto-on-off switch. That way I can still turn two on manually. The only thing I haven't gotten installed yet is a high water alarm, which from experience I suggest that everyone have and make sure its in working order. Its not fun finding out you got a foot and a half of water in your boat and your pumps are barely keeping up after being turned on.

sorry so long, just letting y'all know what can happen and what I did to prevent it from happening again.
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I personally don't like the "AUOT - ON - OFF" switches. The OFF function is dangerous IMO. I by-pass the OFF function on them so that there is no OFF option. Why would you need to turn this circuit off?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Boats left in the water have no need for an "OFF" position. The float switch should be wired (with a fuse) to a battery.

I like to turn my trailer boat's bilge pumps off. When trailering, the float switches can make contact on/off from time to time and a) run the battery down and b) run the bilge in dry mode, which can damage the pump.
JonChristman

My F-26 has factory bilge switches

Post by JonChristman »

I an new here, and new to Trojan boats. I just bought a 1979 F-26 last week. It has the fore and aft bilge pumps on factory on/off switches. I haven't been leaving them on, in fact, I am, as the previous owner did too, switching off the battery main when I leave the boat which kills the power to these pumps also. The previous owner would not vist the boat for weeks and sometimes even a couple of months at a time. The first thing he would do after switching the power on was to turn on the bilges and run till they started sucking air.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

All that says to me is that nothing went wrong for him during his absence.... if it had his boat would have taken on water and likely sunk.
Your methodology says you ONLY want your bilge pumps to work while you are aboard....... does that not seem risky to you :?:
I want extra protection when I am absent :!: :!: :!:
Michael
Done Dreamin'
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You want the pump to come on any time when needed . you boat may not take on water for months , but what if a hose cracks or breaks ? or a thru hull starts leaking ? shaft packings can start leaking at any time Heavy rains have sunk boats .

Pumps should be left on auto at almost all times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

The switches on my boat do not have an auto position, only off and on, and when the master if off they are completely off. I understand the concern about wanting to have the bilges always on. I am stopping at the marina everyday and checking. I just don't understand why the switches would be wired as such from the factory.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Methodology has changed over the years. Unfortunately, when it comes to safety, the changes that are made are usually the result of studying accidents and what can be done now to prevent it from happening again!!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year