1974 F-25 Salt Water Progress

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

larryeddington wrote:Jeff, if there is enough room you may be albe to take the whole exhaust log off, the Studs are stainless and may come off easily. If they twist off, doesnt really matter as old engine trashed.

cant get a socket or wrench on any of the rounded heads, fresh water tank is in my way so i removed the fuel tank this morning so I can lay down and try to get under the motor so to speak. they are so rusted I maybe to chisel the nuts off or get my saw zaw down there
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Jeff, don't want this to veer off topic but just wanted a quick update on the check up you were having on your hand/fingers.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Its ok, thanks for asking Big D, I passed the nerve testing but had some below average results with blood circulation test this afternoon.vascular surgeon is throwing in the towel for now. Keep on same meds and going to see yet another new doctor. Looking for disease again. Lupus, connective tissue disease maybe, something bigger that maybe causing this Buergers, small blood vessel disease to flare up. It's starting to get expensive and cutting into my boat funds :shock: :evil:
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

took a little bit of love but I was able to restore my Velvet Drive Tag, just thought it was neat.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Cool I have new chrysler plakards for the exhaust manifolds. Boats take a lotta love. Wonder if they give back?
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

larryeddington wrote:Cool I have new chrysler plakards for the exhaust manifolds. Boats take a lotta love. Wonder if they give back?
to my understanding, never talk bad about her, but at the same time she is either broken or about to break and you just dont know when :lol: :lol: Guess we will see buddy!! I sure am giving up alot more love to her than I am to myself latly. I just hope she loves me for one awsome record breaking day of fishing with my wife and kids...I will be very happy with that!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

They may be like a cat give love when they want to. But I aint saying bad things bout the Phoenix

Not going to tempt her
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Nice job on the tag Jeff. It's the attention to detail on the little things that make a job stand out from the rest. Keep up the good work.

Hope things work out medically. That sounds like some serious s$$t.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I think that I have had to cut more parts off this boat than unbolt. Tranny flange and 2 motor mount bolts left me no choice. Engine is finally ready to be removed. I will have to find a way to remove 3 engine bolts that had to be cut
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Jeff, did you dial the shaft yet? If it's not true, you'll have to remove it and send in for repair, or you'll have to replace it. To do that, I'm thinking you may have to cut that shaft behind the flange to get it out. Looks like the coupler is pretty badly rusted and may be an issue to get off, and I wouldn't be banging it up against the stern tube to remove it with a hammer puller at the prop end. That's usually done while it's still coupled to the tranny. The tranny looks pretty bad too, are you going to rebuild or get another one?
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

ive come to the conslusion that everything is being replaced :cry: but I will feel safer on the water, Tranny maybe rebuildable, not sure yet
jefflaw35

hull damage

Post by jefflaw35 »

damaged fiberglass hull. :P
Some of the tools required
Start by grinding out all of stress cracks first as they can be hard to find as the process get more involved
After removing the old repair, which was very poorly done. This is what's left. Next will be to repair the damage inside the boat first so your outer repair will be stronger, that is if the damage was bad enough to penetrate both side as this did.
Inside the cabin
materials
cut out peices before brushing in
brush in , make sure that the corners are meshed in tight and allow to dry
I used left over resin to fill any cracks or holes on the out side before I mesh. It adds a little back bone and uses waste resin. you have to sand this down before you make your repair though.
Ok temps ate under 50 here today again, this resin does not like it, so time for extreme measures :lol:
OK ready to go, we have resin all sanded down again, looks like we didnt do anythink but it was worth the wait
Again cut your mesh peice first, I find it easier to tape it up and start from the bottom
remove tape and finish brushing, this does not have to be pritty just make sure that your mesh is tightly sealed. it likes to move around alot so you have to brush back and forth to make sure it is in the correct place, then use a hard edge to make sure your angles are completly seated, if not when you sand this down the mesh will try to come apart.
Time to wait again, after it is dry we will sand and apply short strand fiberglass
i used long strand glass to top coat
then used an air file to get stright lines
when it warms up ill go back with a lightweight polyester filler to fill in any lower areas, pin holes etc and clean the body line up. Then she is ready to prime
foofer b
Ultimate User

Re: hull damage

Post by foofer b »

[quote="jefflaw35"]
Again cut your mesh peice first, I find it easier to tape it up and start from the bottom
remove tape and finish brushing, this does not have to be pritty just make sure that your mesh is tightly sealed. it likes to move around alot so you have to brush back and forth to make sure it is in the correct place,
]

I have found it is better to Roll on the resin to the surface to be repaired first, then lay your cloth on the wet resin, and the wet out your cloth with the roller bearing down a good deal to thoroughly saturate the cloth and squeeze out excess resin. Using a short napped roller made for solvents is a must.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Foofer , I also do it like you but I use a brush instead of a roller .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rbcool
Active User

Re: hull damage

Post by rbcool »

I have found it is better to Roll on the resin to the surface to be repaired first, then lay your cloth on the wet resin, and the wet out your cloth with the roller bearing down a good deal to thoroughly saturate the cloth and squeeze out excess resin. Using a short napped roller made for solvents is a must.[/quote]

+1
A roller is the way to go!! The groved (kinda like a bolt) roller is even better.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/