Towing a F28

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

willietrojan
Moderate User

Towing a F28

Post by willietrojan »

Well it looks like I will become a Trojan owner again. Looking at a F28 that is setting in my old Marina back in Kinsale. I was wondering if anyone out there has towed an F28 and if the Bridge needs to be removed before travel. I have to get her down to my new home in Mobile Al .
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Towing a F28

Post by larryeddington »

Believe it or not I have two f28. One is at the dock and the other is on trailer and a parts boat. Be glad to give you my thoughts on towing her. While she is not heavy she is wide 12 causing one to need wide load permit in most states. She is too big to tow back and forth but to put on hard for repairs doable.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Does the bridge need to come off
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
drjohn71a

Post by drjohn71a »

There are printed map atlas books for truckers which give the overhead clearance. There are also GPS units and some apps that will show you where to drive to avoid certain heights. In general, you need to be under 14 feet for Interstate highways. It'd be best for you to hire a pro to move a boat that high and wide.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

in my investigation and experience of moving the f28 by trailer, the bridge does not need to come off, one of mine was hauled from Cleveland to near dallas without removing flybridge. But could depend on trailer. The transporter used a hydraulic trailer.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Kiwipushrod

Post by Kiwipushrod »

I use to tow a 1974, F-30 all over the state of Wisconsin and as far as Kentucky Lake on occasion.

I pulled the clothes pins, spray/splash shield and bridge steering wheel off. That kept Me just barely under 14'. The trailer was a Load master triple axle 12000#, with bunks.

I did knock the bridge compass off once, on a tree branch, watch the clearance signs, they are every where once You start looking for them.

Kiwi