Wooden Trojan Steering wheel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

nautnmore

Wooden Trojan Steering wheel

Post by nautnmore »

I have recently acquired a wooden steering wheel from a Trojan boat, and am trying to identify it. I hope someone can help me out.
It is a 6 spoke all wood wheel that is about 22 1/4" in daimeter.
The center hub is about 3 1/4" in diameter, and is chrome plated over a non-ferrous metal. The hub cover is held in place by 3 set screws, and has TROJAN, in raised capital letters against a rough background.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
:?:
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum and if you have a photo of the wheel that would help us identify it for you. Most of the ones you describe came from a wooden Trojan but the photo will help nail it down.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
nautnmore

wooden wheel

Post by nautnmore »

Thanks "Seadog" for the response.
I don't know how to import pictures to the forum, and so I have put pictures into my Flickr account. The link is http://www.flickr.com/photos/nauticalsandmore/

The wheel appears to have been refinished, and when the front was re - Urethaned it ran down to the back and was not cleaned up. Other than that it appears to be in Excellent condition.
Thanks
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Those wheels are off of some of the 50's and 60's wooden models. They also came with the center casting with the name Trojan in script with the letters in relief rather than raised. I have one of those wheels myself.

I have seen many photos of older wooden models on here that have that wheel. It really is a neat wheel, and i am thinking about putting mine on my Tri-cabin.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Something like this I assume? This one is off a 1969 28' Trojan Sea Skiff.

36592ec5.jpg
36592ec5.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumper
Sporadic User

wheel

Post by gumper »

My 30' 1970 SeaRaider has the same wheel.
Image[/img]
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

This is what my wooden wheel looks like. Notice the different center casting.

Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

I don't care what any body else thinks, but those wheels look a whole lot better then the plain round ss wheel on both of mine, color me green.
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

k9th - that center hub looks like early 60s I think.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I am going to try to fit it onto my '79 Tri-cabin. I like its looks better than the chrome wheel that is there now.

Bought it on ebay for $50 about a year ago and initially wanted to just hang it on the wall in my office at home but liked it so well I am going to try to make it work on SeaDog.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Measure the hub carefully. I had to have some machining done before I could install the wooden wheel on mine. I have the original Syten hydraulic system, and the steering shaft is tapered. I forget the actual numbers (have them at home) but the shaft tapers down from something like 7/8" to 3/4". The hub on the wheel had a different taper (something like 3/4" down to 5/8"). Not "plug and play".

So I was faced with either machinging the wheel to grind it out, pulling the steering pump and having its shaffed machined down, or designing a custom 'converter' and having a piece of aluminum custom-machined. Didn't want to mess with the wheel (too valuable to me to let anyone get near it with a grinder and potentially mess it up) and figured the steering pump wouldn't survive removel / machining / reassembly, so I went for the custom hub converter. It fits over the existing Syten shaft taper and provides a new shaft custom cut to fit the taper on the wheel.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Thanks for the heads up captain. I plan to do a thorough job of making sure it matches and fits well - and, like you - have no desire to let anyone near the wooden wheel.

I planned to make the switch next spring and take this winter to get any mods done that are needed.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Found my drawings for the hub adapter... Syten steering shaft was 1" taper down to 3/4", steering wheel hub was 3/4" down to 11/16".
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

captainmaniac wrote:Found my drawings for the hub adapter... Syten steering shaft was 1" taper down to 3/4", steering wheel hub was 3/4" down to 11/16".
I may ask for a copy if mine is the same - that OK?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

My goodness,,,,those are beautiful ship's wheels!

nautnmore, were you considering, selling your wheel?

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo