REPOWER UPDATE

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

REPOWER UPDATE

Post by gettaway »

After a hiatis on the repower project I am getting pretty close to getting the new engines in.

I know that most if not all think I am crazy for installing 165's, I think that for the type of boating I plan to do in so Cal, these will serve me well. with that out of the way,

I have completed the engine and transmission mounts to adapt the sixes to the boat, I have built the raw water pump mounts and just need to get the coolers mounted.

I sent the pulleys, mounts and valve covers off to the powder coaters and got them back this week, I have included some photos of the valve covers, I had our sign / decal company make new decals for the valve covers , what do you think?

IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab19 ... COVERS.jpg[/IMG]
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

They look real sharp!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

Ok here comes the dumb question , I have no clue about engines but what is the difference between the 318 and the 165? I'm thinking size? horsepower?cylinders? what is the benefit from the 165 motor opposed to the 318.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

The 318cid is a V8 Chrysler block and the 165hp is a 250cid inline 6 cylinder Chev block.

The valve covers look great. I had one of these engines in a boat that I used to own and I can honestly say that it was one of the most reliable engines that I ever owned.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Nice detail work.

Those stickers really look professional.

If the site owners won't object, You shouldsell them on line

It would benefit this orphaned brand.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

thanks for the input,

the 165's are a 165 hp inline six cylinder engine. they are a simple reliable engien and will be neat and tidy in the engine room.

I have a pretty good sign guy and he did a great job on the "trojan yacht power" not that that ever exisited, but I think it looks great!

He made the Trojan logos for the side of the boat as well.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

BTW,

the trojan yacht power decals cost me 25$ including the art work set-up. after i installed them, they are worth every penny in apperance.

I was comp'd the mercruiser decals when I ordered a rather large number of company decals.
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

They look fantastic! Please keep posting progress. I also am a big fan of the old six bangers as they are a great running power plant. Would love to see it when it's all together.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nothing wrong with a inline 6 , I like mine even with out spark plugs :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

thanks Paul, "prowlerfish" trust me, if I had my preference, and the budget, diesels would be the replacement without a doubt.

I hope to have them in in the next month, I just finished the heat exchanger mounts and have ordered new tranmission coolers, so, with work and all, it would be nice to be running y thanks giving

cheers!
Skargo

Post by Skargo »

They look great! Love me some inline 6 action. I have one without spark plugs too, but it's in my tow rig that tows my smaller boat.
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

Those decals look great, sure makes it look professional! Glad to hear you are making progress. These projects always take longer than you would like (speaking only for myself). If you ever need an extra hand for anything don't hesitate to contact me, I'm up in Vista.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Very nice!
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

What kind of speed/GPH do you think you will get with these engines? With the price of fuel these days I have thought about the same thing. 90% of our cruising is in a no wake zone so I could live with 10 to 12 kts.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I am
hoping that I will be able to cruise at 12 to 14 knots in the 2000 to 2300 rpm range.

the original engines were Mercruiser 228's, GM 305's. When I bought the boat, I brought it from Long Beach CA to San Diego, 120 miles, I ran at 1900 rpm and cruised consistantly at 12-13 knts and burned 70 gallons of fuel for the trip. I ran for a total of just about 14 hours, including getting out of wilmington harbor, I left LB late so I headed to Oceanside for the night and then to San Diego the following day. It is about an hour run to when my slip is once inside the bay.

that being said
cruised 12-13 knots
70 gallons of fuel
14 hours run time slip to slip
= 5 gallons per hour.

these are rough numbers but I think it is fairly close.

So, the 165's should be able to easily run the same RPM , I have changed the transmissions from velvet drives to twin disc's but the ratio is the same and the props are the same 16X15

I hope to know for sure soon.